Monday, May 09, 2005

IE Javascript Quirk

Today, while coding some javascript, I came across a javascript quirk that seems to affect only my workstation at the office. Here's the offending source:

<html>
    <body>
        <a target="_blank" href="http://www.yahoo.com">Yahoo!</a><br/>
        <span onclick="window.open('http://www.yahoo.com');">
            Yahoo!
        </span>
    </body>
</html>


Seems harmless, right? Well, that's what I thought as well. And it is harmless, except on my machine at work. What happens there is just short of bizarre. I click on either item, the link, or the spanned text, and a new window opens. The little windows logo starts animating like the page is attempting to load. But, nothing ever happens. It just keeps doing that for quite some time. I never let it finish, because after a minute of not loading anything, I am quite sure it will fail. So, I click the stop button. Then, in the URL bar, the link appears, and I get the page could not be loaded text in the window. A simple click of the refresh button, and the page loads.

I tried the same page on Firefox on my workstation, and everything worked as expected.

I did some googling, and found others with similar issues, but none of the resolutions solved my case. I also found something concerning it on MSDN, but it required manually re-registering dll's and rebooting after each. I had too much work to do to try that, but I did try the one it mentioned as most likely being the cause, and it didn't help.

Anyone else out there experience anything like this? I'd love to hear about it, and if you found a resolution to the issue.

No comments: