Saturday, September 10, 2005

Crying Foul

I am sick of hearing about FEMA preventing photos of dead bodies. I have commented on a couple of blogs concerning this, and wanted to share my most recent comments. And then I am moving on to geeky things again.

I don’t think they should publish photos of the dead… How would you feel if you find out via a photo that someone you love is dead? Additionally, what purpose do the photos serve? Sensationalism. That’s it, plain and simple. It doesn’t help anyone. It can only hurt. You guys all want to cry foul, and proclaim that your free speech is being stepped on. Well, let it be stepped on. These people need help, and taking photos of dead bodies does no such thing.

3 comments:

Crayonsetc said...

I have to agree. I couldn't imagine being a family member and seeing a photo of my loved one!! Granted, I wouldn't want someone coming to my door either, but that is because I wouldn't want the news!!

Thanks for stopping by Crayons!!

Anonymous said...

I can see it from both sides really. On one hand, you have the families' concerns for those in the photos.

On the other hand, you have the history, and documenting of the event (as bad as it is, it is indeed a history making event for the US).

I think of it this way: I recall when in school, we discussed the Holocaust in history classes. Talking about the event was one thing, but you can't really picture just how bad it was without seeing the resulting piles of corpses from the death camps. As awful and sad as it was to see, it was definitely a learning experience for me just in witnessing the pictures.

Either way, I still think it should ultimately be up to the families' decision whether or not pictures of their family-members were to be released, but then tracking all of these people and bodies down, and matching them up just to get approval would be quite an undertaking in itself.

stacey abshire said...

megaman,
While I think that you have a point to some extent, I still don't see a real good reason to take the photos.

You mention that it would be for documenting purposes, but do you really need some photos of dead bodies to understand the impact. I understand the impact quite clearly from the photos I have seen, and none were of dead bodies.

I still think the majority of those that cry foul on this one are just looking for something to complain about. I would venture to guess that at least some of those crying foul now, were the same ones crying foul when they took photos at 9/11.